Saturday 4 December 2010

Shed Sorrows
































I'm depressed about the state of my shed - it's already small, nowhere near where I live and now it's just a mess. It's become a dumping ground for all kinds of stuff. Work on motorcycles has been zero. It's dusty damp and draughty, and the recent minus 5 degree temperatures here in this part of the UK mean I can't do anything. My tools are in a state and all over the place. Bits of motors and unfinished or started then abandoned projects sit gathering dust. I need to have a clearout and get sorted and organised but just haven't got the time at the moment. To cap it all the aerial on my cheap-as-chips radio snapped off, so not even any more Radio 2 to do nothing by.

I think of the days when I lived in Italy and I had a nice workshop next to the house. I had separate and plentiful storage for bikes and parts. I built and restored more bikes in 5 years there than I have in the UK in 20 years. I dream of the day that I will have my own purpose built workshop a step or two from my house, but living in the South East of the UK, it may always remain a dream. I photographed the shithole of a shed in the hope that it'll galvanise me and make me sort it out....

5 comments:

matt machine said...

adam...sort it out or ill come over there and bitch slap you you dirty filty hoarder of crap you....funny thing is that looks like you took those shots in my bottom shed....except with 1000% more spiders and ....the other day one very large big red belly black snake.....have a garage sale.

ed said...

its like you were in my shed its a mess and depressing to enter its got to the stage where i have bikes all over the place to avoid having to go in there and whats worse is my shed is just outside my back door,thanks for letting me know that i,m not the only one.

ITALIAN MOTOR magazine said...

Matt, yeah that's true no bad snakes or spiders round here they're all frozen to death. I do hoard but I hoard bits I won't get again or at least pay three times the amount. Ed, good to hear someone else dreads going into their shed even though it's full of bikes waiting to bemessed about with, oh well maybe New Year new ways, and anyway, gotta do the work on the Guzzi for the next mag feature instalment..

Cutter said...

Don't beat yourself up - great magazine and great blog both of which take a lot of time and effort.
Sit back and decide whether you can get a workspace nearer in the short to medium term. If not the back to plan A - do up the existing one. Buy new radio, clear out, cheap insulation and fan heater, put up favourite pics, re-arrange tools. I'm a great procrastinator but am trying the "30 minutes good work" theory (http://litemind.com/the-now-habit/) Rule no.1 - it's supposed to be fun....Enjoy your shed again!

ITALIAN MOTOR magazine said...

Cutter - thanks for the positive take on things. You're right, my shed has stopped being fun. Now - action - gotta do my tax return first which I hate doing so get it out the way, then clear up shed, then finish Issue Three, all in that order - thanks for the link too, read a few post, now investigating the 30 minute work cycle (if I've got time..).