Tuesday 11 August 2015

For sale - 1957 Moto Guzzi Lodola cammy 175 - unrestored, UK registered, runs well!










I need to sell my 1957 Moto Guzzi Lodola 175. It is the overhead camshaft 175 model. It is UK registered and road legal. MOT not required as pre-1960 historic motorcycle, no road tax required for same reason. Looks great, sounds great and being a 175 is eligible for the Moto Giro event in Italy.

I bought it a couple of years ago from a good friend who lives in Pisa, Tuscany, Italy, and is in unrestored 'barn find' condition but runs well condition, with lots of patina. You either like this type of condition, or you prefer shiny and restored. My friend was asked to sell it by an acquaintance whose father the bike belonged to. He died years ago, and the bike sat unused in garage. I have a photocopy of the original PI (Pisa) Italian number plate. No other history is known of the bike.

I have done the usual recommission to it - serviced it etc. - changed the oil, oil filters, checked tappets, points, ignition timing etc, lubricated cables, rebuilt the carburettor, added new fuel lines. The front brake has new brake shoes. Oil filter cleaned, oil changed. New rocker cover gasket, new plug etc. New battery. I put on a brand new seat cover which I bought from Italy as the original was sadly beyond use. New inner tubes. Both tyres are Michelins and have plenty of tread. New rear brake switch added as the 175 didn't have one originally! Wiring checked and repairs made where necessary. New bulbs etc. Gears, clutch, work fine, it brakes ok in a 1950s style. There is a dent in the tank that looks very old, and looks like it has been filled, please see pic. Handles nicely, the forks and shocks are fine and work much better than the ones on my old 235cc Lodola. Speedo doesn't work, may just be the cable.

I've had Lodolas for over 20 years, and they're robust, fun bikes to ride, and easy to maintain, even when they're not restored to the hilt like most of them are nowadays. On this bike, Luigi put the tank decals on almost 60 yeara ago, and they're still there - who am I to remove them??

More pics here: More photos here!
See it start up and run here: 1957 Moto Guzzi 175 startup YouTube clip

It's up on Ebay currently as an ad withn asking price of £2750 but that is a starting place - I am open to offers! 

Email in the first instance with any other questions and a number to ciao@italianmotormagazine.com - and I'll get back to you. Happy to facilitate shipping/transport to the rest of the UK or world if required.

No comments: