Thursday 23 January 2014

Cum On Feel the Noize































If you work on and run obscure old motorcycles like I do, you need a good local, trustworthy machine shop and engine guru, and I'm very lucky to have Thatch. Thatch (not sure why he's called that, maybe because of his impressive thatch of hair..) runs E.M.S, and his shop is one of those rare places nowadays where you can turn up, have a cup of tea and a quick natter, leave whatever you need sorting/fixing/boring/welding/honing, and be told to come back at the end of the week, and it'll be done.  Thatch has helped me recuperate parts for my old Italian bikes that I simply wouldn't find easily anywhere else. He rebores any cylinder you present to him, and can sort out broken heads, valve seats, cranks - anything you want. I never ask him how much it'll be, and when he's done the job, I pay him what he asks without quibble - because someone like him, to me, is worth his weight and experience in gold.

What's even better about Thatch is that he leads a double existence, because on weekends he turns into Noddy Boulder - lead singer and doppleganger of Slade's Noddy Holder in his own Slade tribute band called Slyde - and they're brilliant live. And he definitely has more than a passing resemblance to Noddy, in both look and voice. My generation of kids who grew up in the 1970s loved Slade, so it was great the first time I met Thatch to be able to reminisce about the good old days. Thatch and his band rehearse nearby in a purpose built studio, and the level of detail goes down to his guitarist's fantastic  replica of Dave Hill's 'Super Yob' guitar. So I go along and we chat about engines, guitars, music, metal - absolutely perfect.

You can contact Thatch at E.M.S for any engine or machine work on 01296 655885, details here - he's based not far out of Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK.

Check out gig dates and more information for Slyde at their website here: http://slydeuk.net

This is Thatch in impressive action with Slyde, he's the singer!!







2 comments:

selectedgrub said...

The guitar is wild.

ITALIAN MOTOR magazine said...

Yeah, it's a perfect copy and sounds great too!